Eyes are the windows to the world

Labels:

Health is a state of both the body and mind. A calm and clear mind helps us to control anger (one word short of danger). The less anger we feel, the less harm happens to the body - reduction in blood pressure, heartbeat and more than anything, less visits to the doctor (medical practitioners my apologies if I hurt your business).

Right at the start of the day - on waking up, relax your body and don't jump out of bed. Before opening your eyes, rub both your hands warmly and vigorously, pass on the heat generated in your hands to your eyes and slowly open them. This will help in getting acclimatised to the bright lights and give brightness to the eyes. This will be useful to all, more so to the people who work in bright conditions and in front of the computers.

Early in my career, when computers started to come to India (early 1990s), due to the radiation generated by the monitor I faced dry eyes and was forced to using the spectacles. This made me look almost 5 years older than I was. I wasn't married then and my friends were ridiculing me that I could get only older ladies as my life partner. I switched over to eye exercises, closing and opening my eyes frequently to reduce the strain in my eyes. Also I was advised to undertake lamp/candle light treatment.

The candle / lamp treatment involved lighting a candle or lamp in a dark room (or switching off the lights) and staring at the light for a short duration, until I could not stare longer. Initially, I started for a few seconds and gradually was able to do it for a minute or so. Believe me, I have stopped using spectacles altogether, though I am using computers longer.

After almost a decade, I went to an optician for eye check up and he gave my eyes a clean chit, saying I did not need the use of spectacles for reading. The only suggestion that I use cooling glasses when driving to avoid the glare of vehicles.

Alternatively, I cut and used cucumber over my eyes. My eyes felt like they were on ice and for a 5 minute use of cucumber (placing them on my eyes), I enjoyed the pleasure of a 10-15 minute power nap, which helped me recharge my batteries for the day

Comments (0)

Post a Comment